Professor Yudi Samyudia is the Vice Rector for Academic Affair of Universitas Prasetiya Mulya as well as faculty member in the department of Entrepreneurial Energy Engineering. Professor Samyudia has had academic career spanning close to 24 years as both researcher and academia working in Australia, Indonesia, United States of America, Netherlands, Canada, and Malaysia. Altogether he has co-authored one book and published more than 110 articles in refereed journals, conference proceeding papers, and industrial research reports. He has been successful in securing competitive research grants from industry and government (a total of RM 2.2 million) and in managing a number of consulting projects with industries and government including a total of RM 2.35 million SCORE main-power training project funded by Ministry of Industrial Development, Sarawak State Government in 2009 and 2010. He have been spearheading the Bio Valley project of RM 56 million at Curtin Sarawak in 2009 from Federal Government of Malaysia under Ministry of Industrial Development (Sarawak), where the project is now undergoing for a completion in 2016/17. In November 2007, he was awarded PVC Best Researcher Award by the University to recognize his research publications, research supervision, research projects and grants, esteem and impact and research leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Chemical Engineering) The University of Queensland, Australia, 1996
- Ir. (Engineering Physics), Institut Teknologi Bandung 1989
Achievement, award, and grant
- 2014: IChemE Award for Innovation and Excellence (jointly with Dr Mesfin)
- 2009: Leadership Award, Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus
- 2007: Pro-Vice Chancellor’s Best Researcher Award, Curtin Univ of Technology, Sarawak Campus
- 1999: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Purdue University, USA
- 1997: Indonesian-Toray Science Foundation (ITSF) Research Award
- 1997: Young Academics Award, Department of Higher Education Republic Of Indonesia.
- 1996: Research Fellowship, Murdoch University, AUSTRALIA.
- 1992-95: Merit PhD Scholarship, Australian International Development Agency Bureau.
Other professional experience
- Accreditation Panel Member, Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC), Malaysia, 2011-2015
- International Program Committee: 12th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering (PSE Asia); 11th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering (PSE 2012), Singapore; 2nd International Conference on Instrumentation, Control & Automation, Bandung, 2010; 8th IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process Systems (DYCOPS), Brussels, Belgium, 2010; 5th International Symposium on Design, Operation and Control of Chemical Processes (PSE Asia), Singapore, July 2010; International Conference on Instrumentation, Control & Automation, Bandung,
- October 20-22, 2009; International Conference on Instrumentation, Communications, Information Technology and Biomedical Engineering (ICICI-BME), Bandung, November 23-25, 2009; 2nd International Conference on Control, Instrumentation and Mechatronics Engineering, Sponsored by Control Systems Society (CSS), 2009
- Co-Chairs 2nd CUTSE International Conference, Miri, November 24-25, 2009; Session Chair, 2nd International Conference on Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering/Symposium of Malaysian Chemical Engineers, Kota Kinabalu, 2005; Session Co-Chair (with Prof. R. H. Middleton, Univ. of Newcastle, Australia), Session on Robust Controller Design and Analysis at 41st IEEE Conf. On Decision & Control, Las Vegas, 2002; Session Chair in Asian Control Conference, Seoul Korea, 1997; Chair, Seminar on Industry-University Collaboration, Supported by PT. Yokogawa Indonesia, Bandung 1997.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Science and Technology, 2009 – present; Associate Editor, Journal of Instrumentation, Control and Automation, 2008 – present; Reviewer for the following journals: Journal of Process Control; Computers & Chemical Engineering; Chemical Engineering Science; Industrial Engineering and Chemical Research; Automatica; Asia Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering; and a number of international conferences such as American Control Conference, IFAC World Congress.
Publication list (selected)
- S.F. Wong*, M.C. Law, Y. Samyudia, and S.S. Dol, Rheology study of water in crude oil emulsions, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 45, 1411-1416, 2015
- C.I. Lim*, W. Biswas, Y. Samyudia, Review of existing sustainability assessment methods for Malaysian palm oil production, Procedia CIRP, 26:13-18, 2015.
- M. Getu, S. Mahadzir, Y. Samyudia, M.S. Khan, M.Y. Lee, Risk-based optimization for representative natural gas liquid (NGL) recovery processes by considering uncertainty from the plant inlet, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, (in press), 2015(IF: 1.677)
- J.S. Lim*, S.F. Wong, M.C. Law, Y. Samyudia, and S.S. Dol, A review on the effects of emulsions on flow behaviours and common factors affecting the stability of emulsions, Journal of Applied Sciences (in press), 2015. (IF: 0.688)
- Y. Samyudia and J.H. Lee, A Two Step Approach to Optimal, Plant Friendly Input Test Design for Control-relevant System Identification, AIChE Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX, 1999.
- Y. Samyudia, P.L. Lee, I.T. Cameron, and M. Green, Application of multi-unit control analysis and design to a reactor/separation process, AIChE Symposium Series, No. 316, 1997.
- Y. Samyudia, P.L. Lee, I.T. Cameron, and M. Green, Control of multi-unit processing plants – A systematic methodology, Computers & Chemical Engineering, Vol. 20S, pp. S919-924, 1996.(IF: 2.091)
- Y. Samyudia, P.L. Lee, and I.T. Cameron, Control strategies for a supercritical fluid extraction process, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 51, No. 5, pp. 769-787, 1996. (IF: 2.351)
- Y. Samyudia, M. Green, P.L. Lee, and I.T. Cameron, A new approach to decentralised control design, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 50, No. 11, pp. 1695-1706, 1995. (IF: 2.351)
- Y. Samyudia, P.L. Lee, and I.T. Cameron, A methodology for multi-unit control design, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 49, No. 23, pp. 3871-3882, 1994. (IF: 2.351)