Dr. Ihsan Iswaldi is a faculty member in the Department of Food Business Technology, Universitas Prasetiya Mulya, Indonesia. His primary research focuses on the characterization of phenolic compounds and their metabolites with demonstrated activity in plant matrices as well as in biological samples using analytical techniques coupled to mass spectrometry. The results have been presented in international conferences and published in several journals. His main fields of teaching are analytical chemistry and food chemistry. He has completed Doctoral degree in Chemistry at the University of Granada (UGR) through funding from the Ministry of National Education of the Republic of Indonesia for the DGHE scholarship and funds from the Research Group FQM-297 “Environmental, Biochemical and Foodstuff Analytical Control” (Department of Analytical Chemistry, UGR) and Functional Food Research and Development Center (CIDAF) from different projects, contracts and grants from the central and autonomic administrations and research plan of the UGR.
- Doctor in Chemistry, Universidad de Granada, Spain, 2012
- Master of Science in Chemistry, Universidad de Granada, Spain, 2010
- Master of Science in Chemistry, Universitas Andalas, Indonesia, 2007
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Universitas Andalas, Indonesia, 2005
Other professional experience
- Lecturer/Researcher at the Food Technology Study Program, Surya University, Indonesia, Sept 2013 – Dec 2016.
- Project Assistant to Review and Update the National Implementation Plan for the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in Indonesia at the Basel Convention Regional Center for South-East Asia (BCRC-SEA), Indonesia. 2013.
- Internship at the Laboratory of Natural Products Chemistry, PharmaMar S.A. (Biopharmaceutical company), Spain. Nov 2007 – Feb 2008.
Publication list (selected)
- A Taamalli, D Arráez-Román, L Abaza, I Iswaldi, A Fernández-Gutiérrez, M Zarrouk, A Segura-Carretero. LC-MS-based metabolite profiling of methanolic extracts from the medicinal and aromatic species Mentha pulegium and Origanum majorana. Phytochemical Analysis (2015) 26:320-330.
- A Taamalli, I Iswaldi, D Arráez-Román, A Segura-Carretero, A Fernández-Gutiérrez, M Zarrouk. UPLC–QTOF/MS for a rapid characterisation of phenolic compounds from leaves of Myrtus communis L. Phytochemical Analysis (2014) 25: 89-96.
- I Iswaldi, D Arráez Román, AM Gómez-Caravaca, MM Contreras, A Segura-Carretero, A Fernández-Gutiérrez. Identification of polyphenols and their metabolites in human urine after cranberry-syrup consumption. Food and Chemical Toxicology (2013) 55: 484-492.
- I Iswaldi, D Arráez Román, AM Gómez-Caravaca, A Segura-Carretero, A Fernández-Gutiérrez. Profiling of phenolic and other polar compounds in zucchini (Cucurbita pepo L.) by reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography coupled to quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Food Research International (2013) 50:77-84.
- I Iswaldi, AM Gómez-Caravaca, J Uberos, M Lardón, A Segura-Carretero, A Fernández-Gutiérrez. Characterization by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode-array detection coupled to time-of-flight mass spectrometry of the phenolic fraction in a cranberry syrup used to prevent urinary tract diseases, together with a study of its antibacterial activity. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis (2012) 58:34-41.
- J Uberos, I Iswaldi, R Rodríguez Belmonte, A Segura-Carretero, V Fernández-Puentes, A Molina-Carballo, A Muñoz-Hoyos. Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) changes the surface hydrophobicity and biofilm formation of E. coli. Microbiology Insight (2011) 4:21-27.
- I Iswaldi, D Arráez Román, I Rodríguez-Medina, R Beltrán-Debón, J Joven, A Segura-Carretero, A Fernández-Gutiérrez. Identification of phenolic compounds in aqueous and ethanolic rooibos extracts (Aspalathus linearis) by HPLC-ESI-MS (TOF/IT). Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (2011) 400:3643-3654.
- R Beltrán-Debón, A Rull, F Rodríguez-Sanabria, I Iswaldi, M Herranz-López, G Aragonès, J Camps, C Alonso-Villaverde, J A Menéndez, V Micol, A Segura-Carretero, J Joven. Continuous administration of polyphenols from aqueous rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) extract ameliorates dietary-induced metabolic disturbances in hyperlipidemic mice. Phytomedicine (2011) 18:414-424.
- I Iswaldi, D Arráez-Román, AM Gómez-Caravaca, A Segura-Carretero, A Fernández-Gutiérrez. (2012). Advanced analytical techniques for characterization of anthocyanins in fruits and vegetables. In N Motohashi (Ed.). Anthocyanins: Structure, biosynthesis and health benefits (Ch. 8). New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc. ISBN: 978-1-62257-329-5.
- I Iswaldi, I Abu Reidah, D Arráez-Román, A Segura-Carretero. (2015). Advanced analytical techniques for the isolation of phenolic compounds in medicinal plants. In J N Govil (Ed.). Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants, Vol 41: Analytical and Processing Techniques (Ch. 12). Studium Press LLC, USA. ISBN of Series: 0-9656038-5-7; ISBN of Volume: 1-62699-078-6.